Prof. Jamar,

I am just a poor lurker here, but I'd like a word.  I am a strict
separationist, because I believe in self-preservation.  It is my opinion that
endorsement (let's please call it what it is) ought to be excised from the
rituals, mechanism and business of government and its laws.  Religion of the
state is already excluding others -- atheists and other dissenters.  This
so-called "civil religion" this absurd chimerical "ceremonial deism" which is
the poor disguise temporarily adopted by Christianity, not only does not
represent me and exclude me, but punishes me by forcing me to pay to support
beliefs, rituals and acts I know are untrue and harmful.  While we might hope
that the slow creep of imposition will stall, we know it will not, and it has
already excluded non-co-religionists from jobs, contracts, participation,
education and so on.

Remember your history; we have been down this road before, religion, politics,
government and war wearing each others clothes and marching arm-in-arm.  All
civilizations, Hebrews, Romans and Crusaders have traveled it, and so have
Renaissance monarchs, and Puritans, and more modern despots.  Now our own great
arbiters of the Law of the Land have chosen sides, and once again things don't
look good for liberty of conscience.  Soon the heirs of Dick and Cade will
govern Blackheath, and all lawyers know, or should know, what plans they had
for you.  Your profession needs to shine brightly now, or it will burn
brightly.  I certainly know what their plans are for this poor atheist, and
will find a more civilized country just as soon as it is practical.

Len Zanger