As I said, continuing doctrinal chaos.  I find it curious that anyone could
treat “tradition and history” as truly meaningful, substantive guidelines.
International Shoe “traditional notions of fair play and substantial justice”,
right to bear arms, incorporation, defining the line between state and federal
— all these and more have purported to rely on some version of history and
tradition — often while doing bad history, being painfully selective in
traditions, and not recognizing that tradition and history are at least as
often the problem to be moved away from as the guiding light to be moved toward.

For religious freedom, history and tradition are particularly ill-suited
insofar as the only result can be to constitutionalize the status quo –
whatever it may be.  And so Christian prayers which by their inherent nature
exclude and when done in a public forum at the start of official governmental
meetings are not an endorsement of religion because of our history and
tradition.  “In God We Trust” on money is an endorsement, of course, but one
that is allowed.

I personally don’t mind if these things go on and I don’t care if the
constitution is interpreted to allow them under the
accommodation-becoming-endorsement approach of the court at this point because
I am not a strict separationist — I don’t think religious values should be
excised completely from public discourse or actions — but I do wish that those
who do these things and push these things would indeed recognize that them for
what they are — endorsements of religion by the state in a way that excludes
others.  The minority adherents must tolerate a lot of this sort of action by
private and public players — that is our current constitutional doctrine — the
majority can impose on us quite a bit.  But, one would hope that this
imposition will not keep creeping to the point of actions excluding
non-co-religionists from jobs, contracts, participation, education and so on.

These decisions are not neutral. They are not cost free. I wish the court would
address that with more candor, but it feels it must keep up the pretense of an
external, neutral guideline to seem on paper at least to not be choosing sides.

Steve

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property and

“It’s all about you, using your own mind, without any method or schema, to
restore order from chaos. And once you have, you can sit back and say, ‘Hey,
the rest of my life may be a disaster, but at least I have a solution.’ ”
Marcel Danesi, in an interview about his book, “The Puzzle Instinct: The
Meaning of Puzzles in Human Life.”