A few more thoughts:

1.  Are there any women participating on this listserv?  It seems
remarkable that we have talking about this gender based policy for days and
(unless I missed something, and please forgive me if that is the case) all
the participants are men.

2.  The Kiryas Joel problem is not about third party harms; it's about
sectarian discrimination.  Would any other religious minority in NYC
(Muslims, for example) be able to get women only pool hours in their
neighborhood?  I understand there may be problems of proof if they have
never tried, and the case may turn on the role of the City in tolerating a
sex-based policy, in this neighborhood, that the City would not tolerate
elsewhere.  But there are questions here, to which Alan Brownstein alluded
when he asked if this were Lukumi reversed -- an intentionally sect-based
benefit, not available to others.

3.  The endorsement test, FWIW, applies only to government acknowledgments
of religion (e.g., publicly supported Christmas Creches and Chanukah
Menorahs; Crosses at war memorials; Ten Commandments displays).  The
endorsement does not apply to accommodations -- relief of
government-imposed burdens on religious practice.  The U.S. government does
not endorse the content of religious symbols that members of the Armed
Forces put on jewelry; or on their gravestones when they are buried in a
military cemetery; or the meaning of religious headgear, like yarmulkes or
turbans, that soldiers or even prison inmates, may be allowed to wear.

If Hillel wants to say more about the relevant Jewish law assumptions that "
relate to women's bodies being sexual,
 and therefore
​that they ​
​should
 be covered when men are present
​ (except in the case of a spouse, and then only sometimes)," we all might
learn something about the Orthodox Jewish treatment of women.  I would
welcome that lesson.  But what we learn can't possibly determine the
outcome of a constitutional challenge to the accommodation.  Suppose,
pre-Yoder, a state agreed voluntarily (and contrary to state compulsory
education law) to permit Amish parents to home school beginning at age 14.
The state authorities know that the Amish will rear their boys to be
farmers and their girls to be housewives.  Is the accommodation now suspect
because the religious community, left to its own norms, will act in sexist
ways? Similarly, the ministerial exception involves effective permission
for an all-male (or all female) priesthood, and everyone knows that.
Endorsement has nothing to do with this set of problems.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Marty Lederman <lederman.ma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I'm sure glad I asked about this case -- this has been a wonderfully
> provocative and informative thread, thanks!
>
> A few reactions and further questions:
>
> 1.  I'll start with the Establishment Clause.  First, let's assume for the
> sake of argument (and to clarify our analysis) a counterfactual, namely,
> that this were a classic religious exemption:  On Mondays, Wednesdays and
> Fridays from 9:15 to 11 a.m., and on Sunday afternoons from 2:45 to 4:45,
> the Bedford pool is open only to women who have *religious *objections to
> co-ed swimming.  Would that violate the Establishment Clause?
>
> Most of the discussion here has focused on harm to those who would not be
> able to use the pool during those eight hours of the week.  But that's
> putting the cart before the horse.  Under governing doctrine, a
> religion-only accommodation is ok only if it alleviates a significant
> state-imposed burden on religious exercise.  Are the orthodox women
> significantly burdened by the city's general rule that its pools are open
> to the public at large?
>
> Of course, that's a classic baselines dilemma.  On the one hand, one might
> say:  Yes, because their access to a very valuable and universally
> available public benefit is conditioned on their willingness to violate a
> religious injunction.  Cf. *Sherbert*.  On the other hand, a city does
> not *have to *offer free swimming pools in the first instance, and such a
> gratuitous "benefit" is a whole lot less important than the unemployment
> benefits at issue in *Sherbert*.  Many people can and do fail to take
> advantage of public pools, and their lives are not dramatically diminished
> as a result.  Unlike in *Sherbert*, the offer of this benefit is very
> unlikely to induce anyone to violate religious injunctions.  Or, to put
> it slightly differently, the "benefit" itself is access to a *public *pool
> (akin to a public park or other place of public accommodation); orthodox
> women simply wish that the city were also offering a *different *benefit,
> i.e., access to *women-only *pools; and the failure of the state to offer
> that alternative benefit cannot be viewed as a significant state-imposed
> *burden
> *on religious exercise.
>
> *If *the "correct" answer is "yes, opening the pool to the public at
> large does significantly burden orthodox women's religion," *then *we
> would need to address--to weigh--the harm to the other NYC residents who
> are excluded during the eight hours.  But here's the interesting point (to
> me, anyway):  It's difficult to disaggregate the two assessments of "harm"
> on either side of the balance.  If you think that there is no significant
> harm to the orthodox women in not being able to use the pool *at all*,
> then, almost by definition, there wouldn't be any significant harm to the
> excluded residents in being closed off from swimming for eight hours a
> [...]

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg