Ira invited Hillel to say a bit more about the relevant assumptions underlying
Jewish law's views of women's bodies.  As a Jewish female with "Conservadox"
leanings, I would like to add my two cents on this particular issue.

As a general matter, the entire area of modesty (which applies to both men and
women according to Jewish law but in different ways) is part of a larger
question of appropriate sexual conduct.  Earlier this year, there was an
incident on an El Al flight in which a flight attendant requested that an
elderly woman change her seat in response to a request by an ultra-Orthodox man
who was seated next to her.  I wrote an OpEd on this issue that was published
in The Forward that provides both my reaction to this particular incident and
some general education on Jewish law in this area  (caveat: the Forward picked
the title of my piece--I would not have used that one)

http://forward.com/opinion/334978/men-who-make-women-switch-seats-dont-understand-torah/

To me, the issue of segregated swimming has a different feel from the airline
incident. Although I appreciate the perspective of those who find some of the
modesty laws to contain negative assumptions (see, e.g., the modern Orthodox
scholar Tova Hartman's chapter on modesty in her book Feminism Encounters
Traditional Judaism), I have great sympathy for the value of a reasonable
application of the laws of modesty.  As you can see, I do not think the seat
switching is such an application; the pool issue may be different (I am
speaking here about Jewish law and not US constitutional law).

Finally,  I believe cultural assumptions are definitely embedded in Jewish law
(both concerning gender and otherwise).  With respect to sexual conduct, the
rabbis in the early Talmudic period were clearly familiar with the sexual
excesses in their environments and tried to channel sexual activity into what
they saw as appropriate venues (as I discuss in my Oped).  This summer I toured
the ruins of Pompeii and got quite an education as to the nature of some of
these excesses~!

Whether these socio-legal factors should be taken into account in the
application of Jewish law is hotly debated by Jewish lawmakers from different
movements (those who are Orthodox tend not to consider these factors in their
decisional processes whereas lawmakers in the Conservative movement do).  In
fact, in this regard, the Conservative movement was heavily influenced by
Benjamin Cardozo's work, The Nature of the Judicial Process.

One final comment concerning the swimming issue.  In many communities,
segregated swimming hours are offered by the local Jewish community centers.
Without knowing more about this particular community, I was curious whether
this is an option open to women in this area.

Of course, others on this list may see Jewish law differently, and wish to
provide the list with their own perspectives here.

Bobbi

Roberta Rosenthal Kwall
Raymond P. Niro Professor
Founding Director, DePaul University College of Law
Center for Intellectual Property Law & Information Technology

Author of The Myth of the Cultural Jew: Culture and Law in Jewish Tradition
http://amzn.to/15f7bLH

 You can view my papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at the
following