Outside of this context (in the context of licensing) and before these kinds of
issues arose, I argued that flower arranging, even by a grocery store employee,
is speech for 1st Amendment purposes, because the florist is trying to create
something beautiful and perhaps something that will convey a message of love or
concern to whoever might get the flowers. I still hold that position.
Mark
Mark S. Scarberry Professor of Law Pepperdine University School of Law

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:58 AM -0700, "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu>
wrote:

               A question about Chip’s “no solicitude” position to the
compelled speech claim for Fred the photographer or DJ:  Chip, would you say
the same as to a singer?
 A portrait painter?  A calligrapher?

               Antidiscrimination laws ban religious discrimination as well as
sexual orientation discrimination.  Say a motivational speaker who generally
speaks to pretty
 much any group is asked to speak to a Church of Scientology gathering, or a
press release writer who is generally open for business is asked to write a
press release for the Scientologists.  Would he have a legitimate claim not to
be compelled to speak to
 such an audience, or to write such a press release?

               Such laws in some places also ban discrimination based on
political affiliation.  (D.C. is one example.)  Say someone doesn’t want to
write a press release for
 a candidate who belongs to a party he disapproves of.  Would that be enough
for a compelled speech claim?  Is the line between creators of different kinds
of speech (photographs vs. portraits vs. press releases vs. speeches)?  Or is
it that people who write/speak/etc.
 for a living, and who take various contracts, can’t raise compelled speech
objections in any contexts?

               Eugene