I assume Doug was referring to Arlene's Flowers' free exercise claim under
Art. I, section 11 of the Washington Constitution, which the state court
has construed in Sherbert/RFRA-like fashion.  Although I don't think the
religious exercise claim should prevail in this commercial context, I do
think that the constitutional argument is at least arguable, unlike the
amicus brief's statutory construction argument.

I won't presume to speak for Doug, but I assume the free exercise argument
for drawing the line at exemptions in the context of same-sex *marriages*
would depend on (i) the notion, which Doug has articulated and with which I
generally agree, that the *Sherbert *test, in practice, tends to be more of
a balancing test than a series of "yes/no" questions; and (ii) although
Washington might have a compelling interest in prohibiting discrimination
in *both* contexts, the state has a much *stronger *interest in prohibiting
the broader "we don't serve gays" form of discrimination, and thus the
balance against the burden on free exercise tips more strongly against an
exemption in that context.  As I said, I think the state should win in both
cases, but at least I see the basic logic of the free exercise argument for
the distinction--unlike the statutory argument in the amicus brief, which
would have the court hold that the refusal to sell arrangements for the
marriage is not prohibited discrimination at all, regardless of religious
burden, state interest, etc.