During the Holt v. Hobbs oral argument, in discussing the strict scrutiny
standard in RLUIPA, Justice Scalia said the following:

"We’re talking here about a compelling State interest. *Bear in mind
I would not have enacted this statute*, but there it is. It says there has
to be a compelling State interest. And you’re ­­ you’re asking, well,
let’s balance things; let’s be reasonable. Compelling State interest is not
a reasonableness test at all." (emphasis added)

- Jim