I think you are right, Alan. Adding to the privately imposed cost of
religious compliance (peyote now costs more) does not coerce religious
practice. I would say that is not a cognizable burden under RFRA at all, so
the size of it (costs 10x more vs, 3x more) does not matter.
But see RLUIPA land use cases, where zoning decisions that effectively
force houses of worship to buy more expensive land on which to build are
sometimes treated as substantially burdensome even in cases where there is
no sectarian discrimination. Those cases seem wrong to me, or at least very
hard to square with your reasoning in that peyote example.
Glad you are still teaching, Alan.