A few replies to Chris:

1.  The Court never says in Hosanna-Tabor that "churches have no immunity
from child-labor laws."   Please read that section of the opinion again
(page 21 of the pdf version). It explicitly concludes: "The case before us
is an employment discrimination suit brought on behalf of a minister,
challenging her church’s decision to fire her. Today we hold only that the
ministerial exception bars such a suit. We express no view on whether the
exception bars other types of suits, including actions by employees
alleging breach of contract or tortious conduct by their religious
employers. There will be time enough to address the applicability of the
exception to other circumstances if and when they arise." Chris, you are
making up some notion of interest balancing in this enterprise that is just
not there.

2. I do not think the government could prohibit the ordination of a child
minister.  I do think it could limit the hours that the child works.

3.  "Religious affairs" seems like a much broader (or vaguer) concept than
"exclusively ecclesiastical questions."  The latter encompasses those
questions which the state lacks substantive jurisdiction to decide.  (This
is a crucial piece of what church-state separation means -- power to decide
certain questions).  Whether a religious community may proselytize in
its *government
funded* social service efforts is not an exclusively ecclesiastical
question.  The government has a legitimate interest in who has access to
services it funds.  If the social service were exclusively church funded
and was part of what it sees as its ministry, the content of the service
would present an exclusively ecclesiastical question.