A transmitter may have broadband noise with considerable noise content
at the receive frequency.  The notch in the transmit side removes
transmitter noise that may impair your receiver's capability.  In an
earlier post there was mention of a solid state transmitter.
Traditionally tube transmitters have higher Q output circuits as opposed
to wideband circuits in solid state transmitters, so a solid state
transmitter may need more filtering.

There are also combination band pass / band reject duplexers and also
band pass only.  Each has a characteristic suited for a particular job.
Beware, a duplexer may pass an intended frequency PLUS unintended
frequencies outside the normal band pass.  I found that 158.100 radio
paging was being received by a dual band antenna, and passed right thru
a 440 duplexer to cause overload in the receiver front end.  In this
particular instance the best solution was to go to a monoband antenna.

Wishing you best success, Steve NU5D