MCH wrote:

> "will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders."???
>
> The TV spectrum is being freed up by ANALOG stations and the SAME
> SPECTRUM will be reused by DIGITAL stations. The only spectrum being
> freed up by TV for PS use is on the 764 MHz + band. (two TV channels, I
> believe) and has nothing to do with a transition to digital. The same
> could have been achieved by simply moving those analog stations to other
> channels.
>
> An analog allocation is 6 MHz. A digital allocation is 6 MHz.
> How is digital saving spectrum?

Most VHF analog stations are using UHF for their Digital broadcast.

Channel 6 Johnstown is 34 UHF
Channel 2 PGH is now on 25 UHF
Channel 4 PGH is on 51 (I think)

UHF stations have been allocated a different channel for their DTV
53 PGH is on 43 UHF  (I think)

While it was told that ALL VHF television would move to UHF, I don't
believe that is going to be reality.  I could be wrong, however....

Kevin