Not really.  With the huge power in NTSC analog signals around the visual and
aural carriers, as well as the color subcarrier, stations had to be
geographically far apart to be able to share channels.  Even odd channel
pairings such as the "taboo" relationships whereby stations could not operate
close together if they were on pairs differing by 8 channels (8 x 6 MHz = 48
MHz which falls in the receivers' IF passbands) could not be used.  The high
powers concentrated at the visual carriers even required adjacent stations to
shift their frequencies by 10 KHz.  Digital transmitters operate with generally
lower power and that power is noise-like, spead evenly across each 6 MHz
channel.  With the inherent error checking and correction power built into the
ATSC digital television system, digital-into-digital interference is much less
of a problem than analog-into-analog interference was.  Therefore, it is
possible to cram all 1600 broadcast stations into less spectrum with digital.
It could not have been done with analog.

Digital reception is amazing.  At WRLK in Columbia, SC, we are running 650
kilowatts ERP on analog on channel 35, and simultaneously from the same
antenna, 65 kilowatts of digital on channel 32.  The digital station can be
received perfectly at locations where the analog station is unwatchable in the
snow.  Once the analog transmitters can be turned off, broadcasters' electric
bills will be MUCH less than they are today.  My eleven station network pays
over a half million $$$ in electrical costs per year.  We expect it to be cut
to about one third of that after next year.

Hap Griffin
WZ4O