Did some searching, and it looks like splices would run maybe twice or
more the cost of one male and one female.
  I found about $30 or so, maybe more, I forget, just for the inner part,
and the only "shell" I found by itself was out of sight. A splice for
larger Heliax seems to be around $129.00.
  As it is, I have 4 male N connectors for the 7/8" and one female.
  Figure I will never need all of them, being as I have them.
  If I did not have at least one more than I figured, I would wind up
needing to find another one. Murphy's Law seems to work that way.
  Like those end caps for PVC pipe. I always wind up not having enough of
them unless I buy the big package, which Home Despot never has when I need
to buy them.
  YMMV

  Wayne WA2YNE

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:54:30 -0500, Ron Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> One issue on the connectors for reconnecting coax.
>
> Many make back to back type connectors for this.  They are essentially
> the back end of 2 connectors joined as one piece/connector.  Mostly used
> where a long feedline cannot be placed on one spool and must be joined
> or for other applications needing a spice.
>
> Would have lower loss and cost less than two connectors.  More reliable
> also.
>
> 73, ron, nn9ee/r
>

>> From: Wayne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Date: 2008/04/24 Thu PM 10:21:01 CDT
>> To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Bad adapter
>
>>  Thanks, I had no way of knowing that. Tells me the connectors are good
>> parts.
>>  The 4 Heliax connectors I bought with the cable are Andrew connectors.
>>  I'm wondering when the Andrew web site will be back up. Is it based in
>> taiwan? I know they had problems there due to a major quake that shut
>> many
>> things down.
>>  I have a fairly good assortment on other N connectors, various brands
>> that don't give me a real clue as to what cables they were actually made
>> for use with.
>>  Some I can usually simply use with whatever size cable jacket fits
>> through the gland nut...
>>  I should post a few part nubers and brands later.
>>
>>  Wayne WA2YNE
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:39:48 -0500, Glenn Little WB4UIV
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> The number before UG-1185/U is a cage code. This identifies who
>>> manufactured the
>>> item.
>>>
>>> In this case:
>>>
>>> AMPHENOL AEROSPACE - RF MICROWAVE CONNECTOR OPERATIONS
>>> ONE KENNEDY AVENUE
>>> DANBURY, CT 06810
>>> Cage Code: 74868
>>> Tel.: 1-800-627-7100
>>>
>>> It is a marked Amphenol connector.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Glenn
>>> WB4UIV
>>>

>>> At 02:30 AM 4/24/2008, Wayne wrote:
>>>
>>> Cannot see any braid without undoing one of the N connectors on the
>>> RG214
>>> jumper.
>>> Connectors are evidently not Amphenol, unless they didn't mark them as
>>> such. The cable says RG214/U. Connectors marked 74868 UG-1185/U Seems
>>> be good quality.
>>> No leakage that I can tell, and zero resistance from one end to the
>>> other, so should be good to go.
>>>
>>> Wayne WA2YNE
>>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/