Bob,
All standard residential utility meters read out in kilowatt hours. That
is the basis for their tarrifs and billing. You are charged on the
actual kilowatt hour use. The ups reading lower on actual battery
operation MAY mean the charger is disabled and all you are seeing is
magnetizing current of the step down transformer in the charger. You pay
for actual usage. So yes it is costing you money to have the unit on
line. The bottom line is how much is it costing you per KWH. Your
utility has filed and is authorized to charge under their approved
tarrifs. Unless you are subject to ratcheting demand charges it is
calculated in actual "blocks" or steps. They begin with a modest block
at the highest rate per KWH and proceed to biggest "block" at cheaper
costs per KWH. The higher the usage the less you pay per KWH until you
reach the last and cheapest block. However, remember that this is all
cumulative and each time that little disk goes around you can hear the
bell on the cash register ring!