John,

You are correct that when the power factor is 1.00, the current is in phase
with the voltage, as it will be in a purely resistive circuit.  In this
unique case, watts equals volt-amperes.  However, when the load is reactive,
the current either leads or lags the applied voltage.  A typical case is a
lightly-loaded induction motor, which may exhibit a power factor around
0.65, which is considered to be a "poor" PF.  Some of the current drawn by
this motor is used to create torque and perform actual work, and this
current is nearly in phase with the applied voltage.  Some current causes
heating of the copper windings and the field core, and this current is also
nearly in phase with the applied voltage.  Both of these currents consume
true power and are measured in watts.  However, a significant amount of
current does nothing but magnetize the field windings during part of the AC
cycle, and that reactive energy is returned to the source as the magnetic
field collapses just before the field is built up with the opposite polarity
during the other half of the AC cycle.  There are additional reactive
losses, such as eddy-current and hysteresis losses, but the magnetizing
currents are lagging the applied voltage, so they are the cause of "apparent
power" which is expressed in volt-amperes reactive, also known as VARs.

As was discussed at great length in this forum several months ago, one
cannot measure true power with separate voltage and current meters.  That is
because the readings of separate meters are not synchronized in time.  Even
if one uses two "true RMS" DVMs to measure voltage and current, one still
winds up with nothing more than apparent power based upon volts times
amperes, or volt-amperes.

To measure true power, one must use an AC power meter that synchronously
measures current and voltage throughout the entire cycle.  This can be
performed by a device called a "four-quadrant multiplier" which, as its name
implies, performs the multiplication of current and voltage through 360
degrees of phase rotation.  One such instrument is a VIZ Instruments WD-767
Digital Wattmeter, which sold for about $925.  Another device which has
become very popular with Hams is the "Kill-A-Watt" meter that costs about
$20 from several Internet vendors.  Although not as accurate as the WD-767,
it does perform quite well.

As I stated in an earlier post, the rotating-disk kWH meter on the typical
residence measures only true power.  It does this magic by combining the
magnetic fields of two coils: a voltage coil that is connected in parallel
with the load, and a current coil that is in series with the load.  The
angular displacement of these coil windings is precisely set so that only
currents that are exactly in phase with the voltage result in a torque to
turn the aluminum disk.  A small permanent magnet is placed near the disk so
that the speed of the disk is proportional to the amount of true power being
consumed.  Since speed is movement over time, the disk is geared to a
register that accumulates the number of rotations, which represents power
over time, which is energy.  Thus, the meter measures kilowatthours.  You
pay only for the true power that you actually use; you do not pay for
"apparent power" since volt-amperes is not true power.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY