From: "Ethercrash" <n4bwp...@charter.net>
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2009 8:42:42 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Split site link via IP

My repeater group is considering building split-site 6m machine. As an
inter-site link, I was thinking of using some sort of VOIP arrangement via the
internet. I'm curious if anyone has tried something like this:

My idea is to use a point-to-point, private link (i.e. not IRLP or Echo) to
pump audio and maybe even some signaling between sites. The receive site would
consist of the receive radio, controller (most likely an Arcom), and a PC to do
the encoding/streaming. The transmit site would consist of a PC to decode the
audio stream, a PL decoder for TX logic, and the TX radio. The basic premise
would be to take audio from the RX (PL filtered), fed thru the controller,
mixed with link PL, and fed to the PC's audio input. The PC then streams the
audio over the internet to the RX site PC, where it is decoded and fed to the
TX radio, which will be keyed by a PL decoder (provided the IP encode/decode
process hasn't mangled the PL).

Whew... Now, question is: will it work? Or more properly, has anyone made this
work? I'm going to try it on a small scale just to prove concept, but I'm
curious if anyone has tried this already. My intention is to use something
along the lines of Winamp with Shoutcast or Windows Media Encoder to stream the
audio. I'd rather find a Linux-based CLI encoder if such an animal exists. I
had thought about using IRLP nodes as endpoints, but IRLP policy would preclude
that.

Thoughts? Encouragement? FTW is he THINKING?!?! ;) I'd be interested in the
group's thoughts, and I'll report the results of my experiments.

Thanks & 73,
Brian, N4BWP