At 8/14/2009 08:54, you wrote:

>Let me get this straight... someone installed a circuit
>that would cut off the transmission if the user didn't talk
>with a loud enough voice into the mic?

Actually, I think it looked for sufficient modulation to activate the
repeater.  Once it was up, it would stay up until COS drop.

>Think anyone might have ever left in frustration? ... maybe
>embarrassed or felt chased away by not clearly understanding
>"what was required" of them?
>
>... or were they all eventually "well trained"?  ... at least
>those who stuck around?

IIRC, that repeater was fairly busy back in the day when the VOX was in
place.  So I'd say most were "well trained", & the few that left probably
gave the lesser-used low-level repeaters more use.  Win-win.

Bob NO6B