On Aug 11, 2009, at 10:30 AM, skipp025 wrote:

> Hi Nate,
>
> > > re: An advocate for a little audio compression.
>
> > Nate Duehr <n...@...> wrote:
> > You're a brave man to say it, Skipp.
>
> > Here's my problem with it. Let's just say there's a very
> > large linked repeater system that decided MANY years ago
> > that they could "fix" the incoming audio from their IRLP
> > link from BADLY CONFIGURED IRLP NODES by adding a commercial
> > compressor-limiter in-line.
>
> Depends on what's coming out of the IRLP source... it's not
> the job of a limiter/compressor to improve already over crunched
> bad audio. My "advocate for a little audio compression"
> statement is meant to deal with helping soft talking, non
> booming (higher pitch) voice types. The specific case I
> referenced was a simple repeater with one half-duplex link
> radio.

Understand.  They were RAISING low-level nodes that hadn't bothered to
set their audio properly.  Problem was, good sounding, higher level
nodes were obviously having some horrible effect on their compressor/
limiter they weren't really aware of, since they had so many bad-
sounding ones calling them regularly.  :-)
> > Hey guess what folks. The audio left here JUST FINE...
> > someone on that end decided to muck around with it. Not
> > much I can do about that.
>
> If you were close to them... you could offer to have a look
> at the levels and crank the controls back down to a more
> realistic value. But when things progress to this level... you
> very often have to deal with some type of control freak who's
> going to crank the knob back up after you and Elvis have left
> the building.

They were thousands of miles away... I decided it wasn't my
problem.  :-)

> > Do I realize that the vast majority of folks setting up IRLP
> > nodes don't bother setting levels CORRECTLY to a network
> > standard? Oh heck, yes. I rant about that at least once
> > a year on the IRLP list... to mostly deaf ears.
>
> A lot of Amateurs lack the resources of a decent Communications
> Service Monitor, some experience or a knowledgeable friend offering
> to help. The human ear is not a linear device so most cases
> of setting levels by perceived audio value are not good.

Yeah, understand.  I always offer to help with the test gear if I'm
"in range" of a reasonable drive, and not too busy.

> I think you're focused on the wrong issue... I run Multi-Hub
> and Chained Repeater Links with well thought out audio levels
> and they do include a very modest amount of limiting type
> compression... and they sound great. You probably need to vent
> a stronger opinion against bad audio level choices made by the
> over casual repeater system/equipment owner/operator(s).

LOL... Yeah, I doubt any systems you're engineering are "casually
engineered".  LOL!

:-)

> I'd like to say I've done a lot of the proper homework... and
> I suspect few users can tell the brand name of the majority
> of our repeaters from the on-air audio. And there's a fairly
> large mix of many different equipment brands...

You have, I'm sure.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com