On Aug 10, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Laryn Lohman wrote:

> Nate, your comments about compression and bad-sounding audio coming
> in from IRLP just goes to show, at least in part, that improperly
> set-up compression/AGC sounds bad.

Totally agreed.  I have been fighting improperly built/designed AGC's
in telco for years.

(Imagine a glass-walled conference room.  Why do people put glass
walls in conference rooms anyway?!   Looks pretty, but totally
impractical for audio engineering... LOL!  Also worked for a place
that built completely CIRCULAR conference rooms, and then put the
speakerphones in the center of the table.  Yeah... you can probably
guess what that sounded like... and how shocked everyone was that the
solution was, "Move the phone over here...", as you slide it to the
edge of the table... sigh.  Other favorites have been room mics in the
ceiling right next to HVAC outlets, um... let's see... what else...
oh, there's more than I can even remember.  Kinda freaky when you can
just have someone call you can you can recognize them by how they
sound, too... "Oh, you have X microphone and it's near the corner of
the room, right?")

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
n...@natetech.com