Thanks for the useful info. Very interesting. On a somewhat similar topic, we
ran into a situation where the local Motorola shop sold a local entity a
repeater and several portables using a DPL code that only certain models of
Motorola have. We checked every Kenwood, Vertex, and even some other Motorola
models and none could do this particular code.
I found a work around for the lack of reverse burst. I am using a Tait exciter
which has its own hang timer. I just set that timer to hold the carrier up for
a fraction of a second after the 38A drops out. This gives the PL decoder in
the mobiles/portables time to close the squelch before the carrier drops.