I actually realized that D-Star or ham gear for that matter is a bad idea from
user interface perspective- it is too complex! I don't want people to fumble
with all the knobs and buttons and end up unable to use the radios.

So, if I were to use true commercial gear, any recommendations? I have seen the
narrow band notices pointing to 2013 implementation date, but are they for
real? Do we need digital?

Do bear in mind that the design of the system is aimed to address MAJOR
disasters, i.e. the entire NYC building with 1,000s of people destroyed. Thus,
my desire to explore the possibility of installing the repeater in our Newark,
NJ office, just across the Hudson river. In a way, we hope we will never ever
need to use the repeater and the radios.

The thinking around digital came from the assumption that we have such a major
disaster in NYC the RF space is going to be saturated with other commercial
users and going digital may alleviate somewhat the problem. No?

>From coordination perspective, whom do I contact for repeater frequency
>allocation? I am sure our existing commercial VHF license would not cover
>repeater use.

If there are any dealers out there, feel free to email me privately and work on
a design. We are also considering sat phones for our portfolio of crisis
management communications tools.

Rudy N2WQ