On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 23:01 +0000, Dick Gevers wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:42:53 +0000, John Horne wrote about Re:
> [Rkhunter-users] baffling warning:
>
> >Hmm, this doesn't make much sense. The warnings are caused by the RPM
> >package manager saying that the files are NOT correct.
>
> Yes, but the rpmdb changes when packages are upgraded. So rkh needs a new
> baseline to check, which --propupd takes care of. At least that's how I
> understand it.

No. If a package manager is used then all RKH does is ask the package
manager if the files are okay. It (rkhunter) does not use any stored
file attributes when the package manager is used. Hence, using
'--propupd' makes no difference to packaged files in this instance.

> > Can you run 'rpm
> >-Vf /usr/bin/who' and let me know what the output is (if any) please.
>
> Of course:
> # rpm -Vf /usr/bin/who
> S.5....T  c /etc/DIR_COLORS
> S.5....T  c /etc/pam.d/su
> .M....G.    /usr/bin/who
>
> Looks okay to me. But I'll appreciate any ideas.

If you look at the 'rpm' man page, under the verification section it
will tell you what the various letters mean. For the 'who' file the
mode/permissions and group ownership have changed from what the RPM
database expects.

John.