In regard to: Re: RPM sqlite3 support, Jeffrey Johnson said (at 4:40pm on...:

With Oracle's license change on BDB 6.x (or 12.x, or whatever they're
calling it) to AGPL, does that impact rpm5's long-term use of BDB?

No impact for the project, but there’s always users who want/need different.

BDB been doing the job for RPM (and many many other projects) since forever.
There’s little engineering reason to change.

Agreed, but then outside factors override a lot of technology design
decisions in software design, for better or worse.

My main reason for asking relates to the fact that a lot of other projects
have abandoned BDB, again likely not for engineering reasons.  I can
envision a day when the "cool kids" look at software that relies on BDB
and, not understanding the history, decide to write their own "better"
alternative that uses the cool database of the current time.  If I hear
anyone say MongoDB, I will almost certainly commit some type of crime.

The other concern is obviously the additional maintenance burden of having
to also maintain the 5.x BDB codebase.  That base is pretty mature, so
there shouldn't be a lot of need for fixes or security patches, but
maintaining that will eventually become unpalatable.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)