Hi Dan,

> Why not rsync directly as root?  Then you can use a passwordless,
> passphraseless RSA (or similar) keypair.

That’s because these are cloud instances that get maintained by multiple
admins. If we require all of them to log in as root, we would have to share the
root password – and that would on one hand be a security/maintainability issue
(if one person leaves the team, we’ll have to change and redistribute the root
password), on the other hand it would violate accountability (log files would
only show logins by „root“ and after an issue, there would be no chance to know
whom to ask about strange things). Both are the typical reasons for not using
root accounts but going for sudo instead …

Thanks anyway. Every idea helps!

Mark