Dave,

Many of Doc Johnson's Midgage cars are down here on a complete train owned by Jack Troxell. They have never been detailed but when his layout was running weekly it took a lot of power up front to move them. Even aluminum that thick has some weight plus the trucks of the time didn't help either. Jack did pull off one his triumphs in converting one of the cars into a boat-tail observation made from a chunk of wood expertly formed and finished.

I understood the Midgage cars were based on UP cars. I owned a couple of them for awhile thinking I might add some additional horizontal ribs and call them MILW cars, but that passed too.

I started 4 or 5 of the JC cars a long time ago, but if I built them per plans it's difficult to put the sides on after painting without showing the major seam between the ends and the sides--still in "what to do next mode" on that one!

Bob Werre