If you wanted to get fancy, you could rig up an automatic system to test a set
of points soldered to the throwbar and let it run for a thousand cycles or
until it breaks.  I would think number of operations is the best metric.

I was going to mention about the size of rail and whether the points themselves
are hinged or continuous but Jim bet me to it.  I believe hinging the points
themselves using the shortened rail joiner method provides enough slop to
relieve the stresses.  Also if you wire your turnouts so the point rail is
always the same polarity as its adjacent stock rail helps, because you can
place the point closer to the stock rail without problems, so the throw is less
along with less angle difference.

In my case, I hinged the points on my Code 83 turnouts and soldered the points
to the throwbar.  I did this mainly because all but one of my Code 83 turnouts
are dual S/Sn3 gauge, so I have three rails to bend and I was worried about the
turnout motor throwing the turnout, which turned out not to be a problem.  I do
have some dual S/Sn3 turnouts in Code 70 rail with solid point rails and
soldered throwbars and have not had any problems to date with them, but they do
take more force to move than the Code 83 ones with the hinged points.  On stub
switches, I do allow for the rails to move one the throwbar a little.  So far I
haven’t had any failures other than initial soldering problems.  I haven’t laid
any Code 100 rail in years, and that was in my pre-handlaid track days.

Dave Heine

Easton, PA