Hi Ben--

I have had that happen too, but a bit of plastic “rub strip” glued to the
tie side keeps the assembly from walking too far to be obnoxious.    I also
solder a tie bar of inverted rail across the points (or another piece of PC
strip) the next tie space over from the throwbar towards the frog on single
gauge turnouts that stick out just beyond the point rails.   This piece is
slightly tapered where it projects towards the stock rail so as to "gather"
under the stock rail when the point is thrown.   This does several things:
it improves electrical contact, it takes some of the load off of the solder
joint of the points/throwbar, and it holds the point down so it doesn't
creep up above the level of the stock rail under the pressure of the control
mechanism.   Unfortunately, I can only do this on the dual gauge turnouts
for the narrow gauge set of points...

Have fun!
Bill Winans

....  One aspect I didn't like was that some of the point assemblies would
work their way away from the hinge until the throw ran into its adjacent
tie.  There was not enough movement to cause the rail to work free of the
hinge joiner; I just didn't like the unsightly gap.  I think this creep was
due to the tension at the rigid joints at the throw bars.

Ben Trousdale

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: