Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de> writes:

> Since the topic now changed into "is Sage implementing Mathematics":
> IMHO it is frankly impossible for *any* CAS to implement a
> mathematically meaningful notion of == that is both useful and
> rigorous.

This is certainly not true.  The point is that you have to make equality
mean different things for different domains.

For many many many domains you can have a "mathematical equality".
Eg.,

* Integers,

* Algebraic numbers,

* Strings

* Polynomials with coefficients in a domain with mathematical
  equality

* Matrices with entries in a domain with mathematical equality

* QuotientFields, where the IntegralDomain has mathematical equality

* Holonomic Functions with coefficients in a domain with mathematical
  equality

* Algebraic Functions with coefficients in a domain with mathematical
  equality

* Differentially Algebraic Functions with coefficients in a domain
  with mathematical equality

Therefore, at least in my opinion, it makes sense to be able to work
in a given domain, and define == there.

I must admit that I do not understand (yet) how Sage works here, but
I thought it would define equality separately for every "parent".
Doesn't it, or did I miss something?

Martin