On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Simon King wrote:
> ... yes, Sage does.
>
> But I wanted to point out that in order to have a *useful* notion of
> ==, you should be able to compare, say, ZZ(1) and RR(1).

No, that is usually not the case, and as far as I understand it is not
the case in Sage. What one can do is convert ZZ -> RR in a canonical
way (aka. coercion), and then you are just comparing RR(1) to RR(1).
One does not compare ZZ(1) to RR(1) directly.

> And once you start to compare apples and oranges, sooner or later
> you can't avoid to find cases that can't be treated in a mathematically
> rigorous way.

There is no need to compare apples to oranges. Sometimes we can say in
what way an apple is like an orange (or vice versa) and then we can
compare oranges to oranges (or apples to apples).

>> For many many many domains you can have a "mathematical equality".
>
> Agreed. And for many many useful domains (the reals, for example, or
> the category of finitely presented groups) you can't.
>
> Let me try to put it differently:
>  * "A is B" is certainly useful and (computationally) rigorous, but it
> is not a mathematical notion.
>  * Any implementation of a useful (!), thorough (!!) and consistent
> mathematical notion of "==" will sooner or later show inconsistencies.

That is not true. But Godel did show that one must choose either
consistency or completeness. The more reasonable choice for any
logical or compational (algebraic) system is consistency. As a
consequence there are classes and some things are undecidable.

> Of course, there is a very consistent mathematical notion of
> ==: "A==B for all A and B" -- but this is not useful. And of course
> there is a consistent and useful notion of == restricted to the integers.
> But mathematics is more than the integers.

Indeed.

> The simple reason for my post was that I felt offended by the subject
> of this thread: "Is Sage implementing mathematics" -- well, of course
> it does not. I think it is a theorem that no CAS implements
> mathematics (once it reaches a certain level). But this is no show
> stopper, since still CASs are useful for doing mathematics.

Although at best this might be viewed as a conflict of competing
mathematical philosophies (and at worse a matter of personal
philosophies),  I think the fact that you (and perhaps others) might
be "offended" by the implication of the subject of this thread shows a
rather profound misunderstanding of the relationship between computer
programming and mathematics. "Implementing mathematics" should not be
confused with the (wrong) idea that it is somehow possible to
"mechanize" all of mathematics!

Regards,
Bill Page.