I'd think that matplotlib's defaults are defaults for a good reason.

Agreed, but not a good *mathematical* reason. It is a good *data analysis*
reason (appropriate for mpl), which is not the same thing.  I can't think
of a single mathematics textbook, talk, or other purely mathematical
setting in which I've ever seen an offset of that type.  Axes are always
when the variables = 0, end of story.

I'd rather add a note in the docs saying how to change this option.

Naturally, we can do that anyway, and in fact should include several
examples of the type of usage where that would be helpful.

Nonetheless, especially since Sage does not seem to be used very heavily
for data applications (pandas, numpy, or others long since filling that
gap), I would also recommend changing that default.