Here is some information I already posted a few years ago :-)

1. TAP files are tape images. They contain Sam Coupe files in tape format
used in ZX Spectrum emulators.

2. ASCD emulator can handle TAP files. ASCD emulates ZX Spectrum, ZXS 128
and Sam Coupe, and it can load TAP files in all emulation modes. You just
load them as you'd with a real tape. (Press F7 (NUM7) instead of F9 (NUM9)
to start a tape instead of booting the diskette.) So you don't need 800KB
disk image per program. :-)

3. I have converted some software to TAP, since it is much more obvious to
have a TAP, than to have a DSK file. When it is a software what has never
been commercially sold and is 50 KB in size, I don't see very smart to put
it on a separate disk image. Either it is nonbootable, which is crap, or it
need additional 10KB for SAMDOS, and is always 800KB in total.

4. Note that original TAP file format can't handle all Sam Coupe files.
Obviously, it's limited to ZXS, which can't have files > 64KB. So I made a
little extension to the TAP format. If the files are < 64KB in size, it's
the real TAP, but if files need to be > 64KB in size, there's a little
extension. See ASCD source code for details.
http://www.keprt.cz/progs/ascd/ascd096src.zip

5. Note that there is also ASCD for Windows. :-)

6. TAP support was done 2 years ago, so I wonder nobody knows... :-)

7. And finally: Tape support is mainly for fun. Sam Coupe games on a tape,
is't that funny? I think, it is. :-)))

Any more questions?

Mgr.(MSc.) Aleš Keprt (also known as Aley)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] *** www.keprt.cz *** ICQ: 82357182
Dept. of Computer Science, VŠB Technical University
Ostrava, CZ - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - www.cs.vsb.cz