The one I've decided to forego is the new ISC(2) CSSLP. Anyone who believes
alphabet soup says more about one's qualifications than one's resume and list
of publications is not someone I particularly want to spend time convincing of
my competence regardless.

I am highly sceptical of those who take special training, study, or do anything
extraordinary other than "on the job" to prepare for professional certification
exams. To me these exams should demonstrate one's actual competence and
knowledge gained doing work in the field being tested; they should not  merely
demonstrate one's abilities to cram for an exam.

The reason I have the CISSP is that my job requires it. Besides, for me the
level of effort to pass the exam was negligible. Had it not been - i.e., had
nearly 10 years specifying and architecting cross domain solutions and high
assurance operating systems, and doing risk analyses and COOPs NOT prepared me
to pass the exam in just over two hours without any additional study - I really
would have felt I had no business calling myself a professional in the field.

--
Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Booz Allen Hamilton