Mary -- Thank you for your reply and clarification.

I am 100% on board with you about folks inventing
taxonomies and then telling business owners and
developers what artifacts they need to look for,
measure, etc. without any real cost or business
justification with regards to to your costs vs. return
to track/measure in the first place, let alone *why*
to fix them.

I lumped a few things together which I shouldn't have...

Defect decision making: Most organizations involved
in the care and feeding of business software, whether or
not they produced it, are still stuck at the instance level of
"do I fix this vulnerabilitly/asset now or later"?

You are at an entirely different level as a large producer.

As one of the largest ISVs -- you likely have very different
needs and perspectives. e.g.- you might be able to bear
the cost of deeper software defect analysis than most
software consumer organizations, due to the huge cost
of regression testing and/or the support costs of post-hotfix
deployments if they break things.

The above is just a guess on my part, but we all know that
hotfixing running production database servers is not the
same game as implementing output encoding on a web

Anyway, long and short, like Andrew and others -- those
of us in the pragmatic "good enough" & "daily increments"
security camps would love for you to share more of your
experiences with this, Oracle's SDL journey, etc. and
add that to our growing pool of what we know about this.

A lot of what I mentioned we need to gather/answer is
really more for the consumers of your software, writing
their custom code on top of it, and then trying to operate
in a reasonably safe manner while making money.

As an ISV you have a slightly different operating model
and bottom line, and you probably are afforded less
ability to use temporary band-aids or mitigation steps
versus flat-out fixing your software. Not everyone has
to "fix" all their software, or make it self-defending.

Which is ironic considering I used to present on the
notion of "self-defending web applications', and help
people implement SDLs. But I've become less of a
purist now that I'm trying to help people secure
dozens to hundreds of applications at once, with
limited time and budget.

It's hard not to feel like a charlatan when you can't
give the business folks hard metrics on defect
implications, failure costs, let alone just the cost
of measurement vs. potential return.

Thank you for doing Gary's interview, and the
stimulating thoughts.

Have a good weekend all. Come see me at
RSA if any of you SC-L'ers are around. I'll be
putting people to sleep with a talk on encoding,
transcoding, and cannonicalization issues
in our software (and WAFs :).
(At RSA. Lol.)

Ciao

-ae