Hello,

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Dr S N Henson wrote:

> > I don't think using RPC is a good idea.
> > You use a smartcard to provide security in a unsecure environment.
> > I don't want to send my PIN code in clear over RPC. You need to have
> > authentication, integrity and confidentiality of your networks
> > communications.

[snip]

> For accessing remote computers (which the original query was about)
> something like ssh or secure telnet using smart card based keys
> for authentication would be more appropriate.

Might I suggest something like SOAP or XML-RPC? (SOAP == Simple Object
Access Protocol.)

I'm actually only just learning about them myself, so what I'm about to
say may not be entirely accurate...

Both of these are mechanisms for doing RPC where the actual data passed
over the network is formatted as XML.  I think it's a good idea because it
allows easy cross platform compatibility and also is implementation
language independent.  Just about every language implementation has HTTP
and XML libraries, so it would be trivial for anyone to develop a wrapper
library that can speak to MUSCLE readers.  And there's no need to link
against the MUSCLE libs or deal with whether SUN RPC has been ported to
your platform (think *very* small embedded systems on obscure hardware).

Neither spec mentions anything about security, but since they both run
over HTTP, using HTTPS (i.e. SSL) is pretty obvious.  (And you don't HAVE
to use HTTP/HTTPS.)

Personally I like ssh, but it doesn't quite have the acceptance of SSL (no
flames, please!), and neither is it the whole solution (i.e. it doesn't
address the encoding for the RPC data).  Something like XML-RPC over SSL
(requiring client certificates for full authentication) seems the way to
go.  Or even XML-RPC over ssh if that works for you.

>From http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP/

        SOAP is a lightweight protocol for exchange of information in a
        decentralized, distributed environment. It is an XML based
        protocol that consists of three parts: an envelope that defines a
        framework for describing what is in a message and how to process
        it, a set of encoding rules for expressing instances of
        application-defined datatypes, and a convention for representing
        remote procedure calls and responses. SOAP can potentially be used
        in combination with a variety of other protocols; however, the
        only bindings defined in this document describe how to use SOAP in
        combination with HTTP and HTTP Extension Framework

>From http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec

        What is XML-RPC?

        It's a spec and a set of implementations that allow software
        running on disparate operating systems, running in different
        environments to make procedure calls over the Internet.

        It's remote procedure calling using HTTP as the transport and XML
        as the encoding. XML-RPC is designed to be as simple as possible,
        while allowing complex data structures to be transmitted,
        processed and returned.

The "full" XML-RPC spec is here: http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec (it seems a
little TOO simple).

Added bonus is that you can do the RPC through firewalls (via HTTP
proxies) fairly easily.

I'm not sure what the technical differences are between SOAP and XML-RPC,
but there seems to be some political issues (i.e. what company supports
which standard).

Just some food for thought.

--Jeremy

Jeremy Impson