Hello,

I am currently porting some Windows software for the management of
smartcards over to Linux, the cards in question are IBM MFC 4.22 smart
cards. I get the same error on card power up from both the GemPlus 410
serial and GemPlus 430 USB card reader when using the PCSClite drivers. In
both cases the drivers send the following OROS command:

12

which attempts to power up the card and return the ATR, the response is

A0 3B EF 00 FF 81 31 FF 65 49 42 4D 20 4D 46 43 39 32 32 39 32 38 39 30 17

The first byte is an error code which is, according to the GemPlus docs,
"Error in the card reset response, such as unknown exchange protocol, or
byte TA1 not recognized [sic]. The card is not supported by OROS. The card
reset response is nevertheless returned."

Since I'm rather new to smart-card programming, could someone tell me what
this means and who is at fault.

BTW, the same readers and cards work fine with PC/SC under Windows.

Rich

--
rich

The box says 'Requires Win95 or better' so it /must/ run under Linux