> Thanks Derek and David. Just what I was looking for. Plenty of leads to
> follow up. By your descriptions I have to say that I am familiar with this
> style, and agree with Derek that it is not just a Shetland thing, although
> those guys may have been the first to record it in a folk setting. I imagine
> it is no more than Big Band players joining in with their folky mates,

I think that's underestimating Peerie Willie and Jimmy Elliot- they were
'traditional' musicians- they had the music, tunes, all that. They were very
much part of what was going on, and not just accompanying the odd fiddler.
They used their jazz background to make Scottish music.  They were great
musicians and could modify their style to suit what was going on around them.

> Could someone send me privately the email address or phone number or house
> address of Hazel Wrigley ?
>
> Likewise, 'Peerie' Willie Johnston and Jack Evans.

Done by email.

Derek