Rob MacKillop wrote:

>> They also switched to mandolin at times to do some melody stuff. And that
>> led to the Shetland banjo style  :)
>

> Mercifully outwith my remit!

Rob, on mp3.com recently I found an artist claiming to have tunes from
15th Scottish mandora (sic) MS rearranged for (wait for this) the
scalloped fret guitar with ornaments derived from Indian sitar
technique. I did listen to one such track, title like 'I met her in the
the meadow' or such. Most impressive. Scalloped fret ELECTRIC guitar
played in thrash mediaeval fashion and by your standards about as many
ornaments as a Shaker lavatory seat.

Shetland banjo is probably far more authentic!

David