John Chambers wrote:

> ...It sounds better to me if I play it as Amix.  This  is  the
> same  key  sig as Edorian, of course, but the tonic is clearly A.  So
> should the c's be sharp or natural?

Sharp all the way. Of course you're right, John - Amix. My infamous
fumbling when it comes to talking about modes is evident.

> Part of why I'd put it into Amix is that it looks and sounds  like  a
> highland pipe tune.  But I suppose it doesn't have to be.

It's a pipe tune, but the reason for offering this alternative way of
playing it is that it sounds wonderful. When I first transposed it I
tried to stay faithful to the way it was played on the record. It's a
lovely, haunting tune, isn't it?

As I spend a lot of time driving these days, I'm always listening to
music, and in traffic jams I try to learn some tunes. I heard a nice
tune on a Deaf Shepherd recording this week - "Clanranald". As the
queues of cars crawled along, I worked it out on the whistle which is
always in the side pocket. It was probably a straightforward reel
originally, but the band plays it as a slow reel. Aha - I've just
looked it up, and one alternative name for it is given as "MacKinnon's
Brook" - isn't that a Cape Breton setting? Kate Dunlay says "may be
related" - I think more certainly. Can't work out the proper mode. Or,
more truthfully, can't be bothered working it out.

X:734
T:Clanranald
S:Deaf Shepherd
Z:Nigel Gatherer
L:1/8
M:4/4
K:Em
Z | E3 B GEE^c | dDDA FDAF | E3   B GE B/c/d | FDAF BEE :|
f | geBA GFEg  | fdAG FEDf | geBA   GFE^c    | dBAF BEE
f | geBA GFEg  | fdAG FEDf | g<bf<a efde     | BdAF BEE ||

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]