On 26-Sep-09, at 10:05 AM, "Andreas Lund" <fl...@atc.no> wrote:

Sat, 26 Sep 2009 04:35:19 -0400, Kartik Thakore <thakore.kar...@gmail.com >
wrote:

On 26-Sep-09, at 4:06 AM, Christian Schmid <csch...@rapidshare.com>
wrote:

Hi Kartik,

Thank you for your reply. I am new to OpenGL programming. I used to
write everything in Perl. No matter if its a network stack or a fully blown web-custimizable FTP server. Now I am trying to code blast- away
3d-applications... in Perl. Some people say this is crazy, but I am
sure
as soon as I have created an amazing framework, it will work as well
as
C-applications do.
It should!

It does! I wrote a simple 3D engine a few years back and for comparison I wrote the exact same thing in C++ too. (Twice, both in OpenGL and DirectX) and
what did I learn? Not only did the Perl version produce the exact same
framerate as long as I used display lists properly, the possibilities were just so much greater with Perl/SDL: Sound and bitmaps were already taken care of, memory management was obviously not a problem and most important of all: Whatever logic I wanted to bring in at runtime, could easily be loaded and
executed using eval().

Have you tried POGL?
I went as far as implementing a console-like GUI interface which let me type
commands, load 3D models, spawn objects, set things in motion etc. In
contrast, I never got as far as implementing a GUI in the C++ versions simply
because the language is so much more work.

So, what killed the Perl version back then? Two things.

1. SDL-Perl was next to impossible to build. NOT ANYMORE!!! :-D
Yay!

2. No support for shaders or other cool stuff. Hmmm... is it getting there?

POGL?
Unfortunately, after several years of bit rot I've so far been unable to get my old code to run properly with the current SDL. Since it's just a hobby project of mine, competing with wife, kids, house, work etc, things are moving
slow.

What doesn't work? glGetString(). Perhaps it's my lack of experience with XS,
or perhaps the sdl opengl binary is broken, I don't know.
Opengl in sdl has fallen 4 years behind. So I am not suprised!
This isn't really
critical except for debugging and using extensions. Worse, I remember using some kind of glu routine to load up a bitmapped font as a texture display list, I don't remember exactly how it worked, I can only see that it no longer does, and I haven't the slightest idea why. Not that I've had a lot of time to
look into it... :-|

Anywho... Got some screenshots and an old version here:
http://floyd.atc.no/Programming/Perl/Offworld/
If anyone is interested in the current source, let me know.

I would love to see the code.

--
Andreas Lund (fl...@atc.no)
Tel: +47 90077162