I need USB support, so I was told to download the new RPM's
for the kernel (linux-2.4.9-12 is what I found and used),
and I used "xconfig" to set up the USB stuff (which was
indeed "off", if the default settings are what were being
used normally).

Anyway, that went fine--I also found that support for the
parallel-port Iomega ZIP drive needed to be turn on...

I went through and set a few things how I thought they
should be set, according to what I understood from the HELP
buttons in xconfig.

Anyway, I did the rest of the stuff ("make dep clean
modules modules_install bzImage"), and I got a bzImage
file, and put it in /boot, calling it
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9-13custom, and then did "mkinitrd
initrd-2.4.9-13custom.img 2.4.9-13custom".  Then I fixed up
LILO to boot the new kernel, and everything was fine!

Except, it wasn't.  Not only did my USB printer STILLNOT
WORK, but my ZIP drive (which at least would be
recognized!) wouldn't mount, because you "have to specify
the filesystem".  OK, fine...but when I do, it says that
the filesystem isn't supported!

Now, in xconfig, there is a section I found where I could
specify support for vfat filesystem (all my ZIP disks are
formatted for this; so in order to mount them, even to
convert them to ext2, I still need vfat ability). In the
USB section too, I think I know what is wrong...

Anyway, I went back in to xconfig ("make xconfig"), and
re-did things how I figure they should be; and then did all
the rest, just as I said above; but now I get errors (this
is the last xth lines of output from the line of MAKEs,
above, done the second time around):

make[6]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers/mtd/nand'
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers/mtd'
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers/mtd'
make -C net fastdep
make[4]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers/net'
.loopback.o.flags:1: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers/net'
make[3]: *** [_sfdep_net] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers'
make[2]: *** [fastdep] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12/drivers'
make[1]: *** [_sfdep_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-12'
make: *** [dep-files] Error 2

That "[dep-files] Error 2" is the last line I get, no
matter how I try to do this.

AND, there is no
"/usr/src/linux-2.4/arch/i386/boot/bzImage" file to be
found!  (not even the OLD one!)

Any ideas?

TIA, Mark VII
[EMAIL PROTECTED]