> What RPM's are you supposed to download and use, when
> compiling a kernel?  are you SUPPOSED to use the RPM that
> says "src" in it?  And what are all those OTHERS for?
>
> kernel-2.4.9-12.i386.rpm

The i386 is the generic kernel that will work with a 386 and above.

> kernel-2.4.9-12.i686.rpm

The i686 is for Pentium pro and above (PII, PIII, etc.)

> kernel-headers-2.4.9-12.i386.rpm

Header files used for glibc.  I believe that this package is going to be
renamed under the glibc-* packages

> kernel-doc-2.4.9-12.i386.rpm

Obvious

> kernel-source-2.4.9-12.i386.rpm

The kernel source (not to be confused with the source rpm {src.rpm}).  This
installs the /usr/src/linux.2.4*

> kernel-BOOT-2.4.2-2.i386.rpm

This is the kernel that they used to make the boot images on the CD/floppy.
Only valuable if you want to change those images.

> kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.24-2.i386.rpm
> kernel-smp-2.4.2-2.i586.rpm
> kernel-enterprise-2.4.2-2.i686.rpm
> kernel-smp-2.4.2-2.i686.rpm
>
> Now, I can see that I do not need to have anything to do
> with the last four; I don't have any pcmcia stuff, no extra
> processors, and I don't live on a starsip ;-)
>
> But the first two: what do I do about those?  I was reading
> that the Intel PII MMX processor (mine's 400 MHz) should
> properly be considered a 686 (as opposed to a 586); this
> was being said for the first section of the make xconfig,
> where you specify which processor you have.

I believe that the original Pentium MMX processors (not PII) fit into the
i586 kernel.

> Anyway, when you "rpm" these packages, how do you know what
> is going where?  In the /usr/src/linux-2.4/README, under
> the part about "INSTALLING the kernel":

If you rpm -qpl *.rpm, it will show you all of the files that it will be
installing.  E.g.
rpm -qpl kernel-headers-2.4.9-12.i386.rpm
        /boot/kernel.h-2.4.9
        /usr/include/asm
        et cetera

If it is installed, just use rpm -ql (no p).

> "Do NOT use the /usr/src/linux area! This area has a
> (usually incomplete) set of kernel headers that are used by
> the library header files.  They should match the library,
> and not get messed up by whatever the kernel-du-jour
> happens to be."

When you install the kernel from kernel.org, it installs a linux directory.
If you are in /usr/src, this may overwrite the current kernel source,
including the libraries in that directory.  If you did that, things may not
work very well.  Red Hat got around that by making the symlink
/usr/src/linux-2.4.  If you are careful, you can avoid problems.  When there
was a /usr/src/linux symlink, I would remove the symlink, open the kernel
there, and rename the linux directory to linux-version, and recreate the
symlink.

> How does this apply to the RPM's, which seem to have
> CREATED this area in the first place?  Is there a way to
> "force" the RPM to unpack in another place, or should this
> be ignored?  I am reading, and trying to learn more & more
> about this as I go, but I sometimes get bogged down in all
> the details (I'm sure you've noticed! ;-)

You can make the kernel-source install to a different directory, but I don't
think that you have to.

> How about just doing it the way they say in the README, all
> the way?  Forget the RPM's?

Either way; you get to choose.  If you don't need anything special compiled
into the kernel, you can safely use the Red Hat kernel rpms.  If you want
special support, or you want to make a monolithic kernel, or you want to
only compile the modules/devices that you have, you can compile from the
tarball.  Technically, you could get the kernel src.rpm, and change the
.config files to meet those needs, then rebuild the rpms, and install those,
but I think that it would be more that you want to do.

Forrest

You are still using you @home.com e-mail address?