On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 13:02 +0200, florin wrote:
> ipcop ? what a joke ;-)

meaning it isn't secure?  meaning it takes more work to get it
configured?  please elaborate!!!

> On 7/4/05, Amaury Amblard-Ladurantie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > > I've been looking for a replacement for mnf for a long time because of
> > > the uncertainity.  My needs are for my home network - this is for me a
> > > hobby.  I decided on ipcop.
> >
> > Would you please share your impressions on how does IPcop compare to MNF on
> > this list ? Could be interesting since you are a long time user of the MNF.

It's not as tightly put together as mnf.  You install the base ipcop,
then to get things like content filtering you have to install that
separately (and they come from non-ipcop contributors with huge
disclaimers that they are untested and may make the firewall less
secure.)  Essentially it is a frontend for dansguardian that fits into
the ipcop gui.  It's very easy to download new blacklists, too.

Things seem to work well until I install dansguardian.  After a few
hours pc's start to have trouble connecting.  The proxy logs are
initially by IP of the PC but after a few hours become 127.0.0.1 (which
I also experienced with mnf.)

The content filtering is important for me because this is for my
home.

> > > Thanks everyone for the support over the years and for the great work
> > > with SNF and MNF (including the Amaury how-to's!)
> >
> > You are welcome. As many of you have noted, Florin did most of the work.
> > Amaury

Want to buy your Pack or Services from Mandriva?
Go to http://store.mandriva.com
Join the Club : http://www.mandrivaclub.com