Hi Matt -  We need you to put all your wonderful replies and commentary
up on the James website as part of the documentation. Some of the stuff
there is pretty sparse and you are doing a great job of explaining
things! ;-)  I will intersperse a few comments below -

On 02/20/2019 09:50 AM, cryptearth wrote:
> Evening all, Matt here.
>
> Marc, let's look at the doc:
>
> "This is an anti-relay matcher/mailet combination
>
> Emails sent from servers not in the network list are rejected as spam.
> This is one method of preventing your server from being used as an
> open relay.  Make sure you understand how to prevent your server from
> becoming an open relay before changing this configuration. See
> also<authorizedAddresses>in SMTP Server
>
> This matcher/mailet combination must come after local delivery has
> been performed.  Otherwise local users will not be able to receive
> email from senders not in this remote address list.
>
> If you are using this matcher/mailet you will probably want to update
> the configuration to include your own network/addresses.  The matcher
> can be configured with a comma separated list of IP addresses
> wildcarded IP subnets, and wildcarded hostname subnets.
> e.g. "RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1, abc.de.*, 192.168.0.*"
Understood. This is a perfectly valid approach to cutting down on spam
being sent through a James server.. It would be interesting to know if
this is the most commonly used approach, or whether most servers are
using SMTP authentication instead, or whether most servers are using
both methods. My argument is not against using this particular
matcher/mailet, but that the default configuration files should come
supplied and set up in a way that reflects the most common usage. To
restrict emails to only come from users on the local host, by default in
the supplied config file, seems to be awfully restrictive and uncommon
usage, but I am only guessing. My suspicion is that most folks using
James are going to use SMTP authentication, at least that is my own
personal experience, and for users to be on a LAN/WLAN.

So I am wondering if this matcher/mailet should not be enabled by
default and SMTP authentication should be enabled instead, by default. I
understand the need for James to start up safely, from the default
configurations, so as not to be an open relay by default.

> If you are using SMTP authentication then you can (and generally
> should) disable this matcher/mailet pair."
I think this relationship between using SMTP authentication and this
matcher/mailet should be automated. In other words, if SMTP
authentication is turned on then this matcher/mailet should be disabled
by default automatically. And vice/versa. I also think that the
administrator should be able to override this automated relationship,
with an explicitly set option, if for some reason both or neither
approaches are wanted.

Again, the real question is, what is the most common way James is being
configured, and how can mistakes, such as I made, be minimized. The goal
being to keep James robust and easy to manage.

> So, as far as I understand it: "Don't touch it if you don't understand
> it - but you should remove it anyway when smtp auth is used.". Guess
> that's it for you.
I took the "Don't touch it" approach as much as I could. Trouble is I
didn't catch this somewhat hidden matcher/mailet nor did I expect that
the James server would come up with a very restrictive policy that was
preventing me from testing/using it from somewhere else on my LAN.
Especially after I had enabled SMTP authentication, which kinda implied,
at least to me, that I would be able to use James from across my LAN.
This is re-enforce by the observation the IMAP and POP3 were working
from across my LAN and made it difficult to understand why SMTP wouldn't.

> I've never encountered that as I only have my domain cryptearth.de in
> domainlist - neither localhost nor other local entries. I've never
> tried to send a mail to localhost - allthough, that's one part of my
> own current thread about overwrite local service mails from
> sendmail-nullclient used by apache and cron - but that's its own
> topic. So still have this matcher/mailet in my config, allthough I
> have smtp auth enabled.
>
> So, as far as I understood your reply, you now finally got james up
> and running so you can also send mails to others?
Yep! :-) And don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining about Apache James
really, just throwing out some thoughts to think about, which might make
it easier for others following in my footsteps, in installing and
bringing up James. I am very impressed with the amount of work that has
obviously gone into developing James, and totally appreciate the amount
of support you and Benoit have given me!

I am going to work on getting SSL/TLS working with LetsEncrypt
certificates next...    Marc..