Thanks Matt, you were correct, I needed to install the java-devel
packages. Maven then ran fine, kinda scary actually watching it run!
That is a LOT of code being downloaded and processed!  I will table the
systemd issue for now and just concentrate on getting James running. I
like your idea of using crontab to work around it for now...

Any wise, I installed the new version of James 3.4 and got closer to
getting it up and running. I set it up with one domain and one user
(myself) and I can now send and receive email to/from myself on it. But
I cannot send an outgoing email to anywhere else! I am using Thunderbird
to test it with and when I try to send an outgoing email to some other
domain, something weird is happening. It acts as if it sent it OK, but
it is showing up in the sent folder, in Thunderbird, twice! I tried to
send an email from my account on James to a GMail account I have and it
never showed up, so something is failing still.

Going in the other direction, if I send an email from an outside server
to my account on James, I do receive it OK.

BTW this latest version of James did not fix the log file problems I
reported earlier.    Marc..