On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 05:19:54AM +0000, Venkat Mangudi - Silk via Silklist
wrote:
How do you guys protect yourself from getting scammed? Has anyone else on our list been scammed? I’d love to hear about it.

I haven't had serious attempts, but everybody's threshold is different. In my case, I'm mostly concerned about my parents. Though they try (my mother at least), they are not technologically savvy and from time to time they've clicked on links they shouldn't. My father stopped short of sending his banking data to "the post office" because he received a phishing link at the time he was also waiting a parcel from me when I was living in Canada (he's in Spain) and he really thought he needed to pay customs that way.

Madness like this doesn't help either https://www.troyhunt.com/thanks-fedex-this-is-why-we-keep-getting-phished/

After that, I looked for solutions for them and I found dns0.eu, which is a European NGO founded by the same guys that started Quad9 and offers anti-malware public DNS servers. I've set up zero.dns0.eu (the most restrictive kind) on their phones, computers and home router and I'm able to sleep a bit better at night.

I use the less-restrictive version of that, just in case; the "hardcore" version interfere with some systems at work. One never knows when he's going to be too trustworthy.

Cheers,

--
José María (Chema) Mateos || https://rinzewind.org