Many thanks for all this useful information.

Cheers,  Roger B

On 30 Apr, 2007, at 7:32 AM, ransley wrote:

Plain, unadulterated DE is brownish-beige. Pool grade is usually white,
that's all I've ever seen.

Here in the US, any DE that is used on veg's is Food Grade because it won't hurt you at all to eat it, but it will to breathe it. It is not poison but
it will slice your lung tissue.

People will tell you that white, heated pool grade DE won't kill insects. T'aint so. I killed scabies mites with it. Pool grade DE is very comfortable on the groin area and will keep all kinds of nastiness at bay in the summer,
and being white makes it look like baby powder.

All those garden dust powders you buy are mostly Food Grade DE. 5% Sevin dust is 95% DE, 10% is 90% DE, the dust with .01% permethrin is 99.9% DE but
NONE of them will tell you that.

DE and Hydrogen Peroxide used occasionally as a dentrifice will remove
tartar buildup on teeth and kill the germs at the gumline; I do it once a week. If you have the problem, the first time you do this can be rough. It will temporarily burn and whiten the gums near the teeth and then they'll be sore for a few days. After that if you do it no more once a week it will never be that bad again and that's how you tell it's working. Only DE will do this, baking soda and other abrasives won't do enough abrasion. Tooth
plaque is where heart disease starts.

Wonderful stuff, cheap, effective. If I couldn't get the unheated food
grade, I wouldn't hesitate to use the pool grade for all of the above, so long as it is pure. The warnings, other than against breathing it, are to
keep you from discovering how many things it can be used for.

Daddybob