Evening Sandee,

>>At 12:12 PM 7/30/2007, you wrote:

This one would fit in the shirt pocket or purse. It would charge a battery also.

Rechargeable batteries come in 1000 sizes today.  Many are shirt pocket size.

Remember you need sunshine. Some parts of the midwest have little sun. Recently there has been little sun over much of the USA.

Some low cost units here.
http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/?bcatId=10576,page=4

Small, Special Purpose Units, higher in cost.
http://www.kaboodle.com/kateshaffer/a-wishlist-2-fun-little-stuff.html

>> I make my own makers so this would be a great thing to have for the future !!!!!

You may or may not need a very small unit. I have several that are 12 X 12 inches.

They come in a huge variety of Voltages, Wattages, and current outputs.
Most of the small ones have no circuitry to regulate battery charge current,

The output of the unit balances out with the internal resistance of the battery and generally does very well in this respect.

Unless you plan to transport it in the purse, back pack, or survival bag, you likely do not need a miniature panel.

Look and Search as thousands exist. Likely one from $ 15.00 to $ 50.00 will fill the bill.

The Local AC power is less trouble, as long as it is there. For emergencies, your thinking is in order.
Lugging about gallons of distilled water is not so easy.

Wayne