I use a light bulb- it works thermally, causing convection currents to move the water. It might not be as slick as the mag stir, but it works for me. I use a small clear xmas tree light in a nite lite plug I got at the grocery store. Ode says it works best for shorter jars, like an old pickle jar, you can bend the silver wire. I just use a tall quart jar anyway, and it seems to do a good job. You can put in in a pineaplle can and set the jar on top.

Or you could get a 40 w bulb and set it next to the jar.

Kathryn