This is going to sound gross, but it works to relieve the pain while waiting for the meds to work:

put a few inches of water in the bath, and pee while immersed in the water. If the pain is bad enough, she might be grateful for the advice. I got it from a nurse some time back, and it does work. The tub can be cleaned easliy.