Trem Williams wrote:

> Hello Ivan,
>
> Well said.  I guess the only thing I might disagree with is the electrode
> surface area not being a function of particle size.  My feeling is that if
> the current density is high, the particle size increases because the ions
> are being more forcibly ripped off the electrode.  It rings true with me and
> is borne out in my experiments that more surface area makes better CS if the
> current is held low.  That's why I originally chose to use flat electrodes
> in order to get more surface area.  The current density theory mentioned by
> Bob Lee about starved electrodes makes it ring more true.
>
> I hope we're getting to the end of this discussion.  It's like the blind
> guys trying to describe the elephant without being able to see the whole
> thing.

Apparently there is a difference between the LVDC and HVAC method.  The particle
size increases when the electrode area increases in the HVAC process.  I believe
that the sputtering of the particles is accomplished primarily by OH radicals in
the LVDC process and by free electrons in the HVAC process.  This might account
for the apparently opposite effects.

Marshall